Monday, December 04, 2006
hmmmmmmmmm............Rockhampton...



I can almost smell the strong scent of the meatworks, can almost see the rich brownness of the Fitzroy, can almost feel the sizzling sensation of the Queensland sun on my skin.

I am such a nerd for being so excited to go home!

I've figured out that it's little things that make me think of home. And they're weird, silly, irrelevant things. Like India makes me think of home. My friend Melissa's stories make me think of home. Fish and chips makes me think of home. And the beach makes me think of home. Why? I wouldn't have a clue!

To the outside eye, Rockhampton is termed as a 'hole', a 'dive', or a 's***y place'.

To an extent i agree. As a tourist, i would never visit. I would bypass it for Cairns or Townsville or Brissy.

So if you are ever silly enough to go, here are my list of essential places to see.

1. Sit on the banks of the Fitzroy river and pretend not to notice that you can't see the bottom. You can also try your hand at crocodile spotting or try and make up what illegal activity people are up to on their houseboats.

2. Go to the Dreaming Centre. Apparently it's one of the largest Aboriginal museums in Queensland. Then drive down the road and go to the heritage village.

3. Check out the Botanical gardens and zoo - which have been there way before my dad was born, and believe me, that was a long time ago.

4. Leave Rockhampton...i am officially including this list to Central Queensland...and go up to Emu Park and eat fish and chips by the beach. Also go and see the singing ship.


Isn't it funny how you can just completely click with some people?? I have that sort of relationship with two groups of my friends.

1. Melissa/Chris/Antonia/Kate and everyone else in the AESM

2. Lisa, Becky, Liz, Sophie - we were school girls together!

I have never had a fight with any of them which is weird cause i have spent sooo much time with them. So it's weird how people click. What are the ingredients for a perfect friendship? Cause i seem to have so many perfect friendships - people who i never get annoyed at and who never get annoyed at me. Am i just lucky? Or is it so commonplace?

MESSAGE TO MELISSA: Hey! I just remembered - have you ever been to Emu Park?? I don't remember going with you but you've probably been already. But anyway, we have to go when i get back cause it's my favourite beach. We should plan an AESM trip down the beach. And we'll also invite Yogi...just because!



LUV AMY
posted by Lidia @ 6:40 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    :)

     
  • At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi,

    Just a complete stranger who happened to stumble across your blog by accident. Being from India and having visited Australia on a few occasions, i find your interest in India intriguing. Definitely a world very different. What is it about India that fascinates you so much? Have you visited India before? Having said that, i may be traveling back to Australia for a bit soon. Hope the weather is not as hot this time around and that the drought situation is better.

    Keep blogging!
    -abhi

     
  • At 8:54 PM, Blogger Lidia said…

    Sojourner - :)

    Abhi- Hey! I've loved India for a long time but never been :( I don't know why I love it so much but i've always loved culture and of course India has such a rich one! I think i could spend a lifetime in India and not know everything about it! Haha - how soon are you coming back to Oz? It's starting to get hot now and the drought hasn't improved unfortunately. Farmers were committing suicide in Victoria it was getting so bad! Hope you enjoy Oz and your welcome back to my blog i you want!
    -Amy

     
  • At 12:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, Amy!

    Home is home, it will always be the most precious place on earth to you no matter what anyone else might think of it!

    Thanks for giving us a little guided tour around your home town...I like the sound of the "Dreaming Centre", such a cool name. If I visit, I will definitely want to see the Aboriginal Museum.

    You're going home for Christmas I presume? I always envy you Aussies for your warm temperatures during the Christmas season - we're always bundled up and so cold in Canada at midnight mass! ;)

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Amy,
    Nice to know that u liked my "Orkut" post. Actually after writing the post, I came across quiet a few people who shared such feelings.

    It is also interesting to know that you love India so much. You must visit it atleast once, great place (though you can never sample the entire place even in a dozen trips!!!)

    So you are also in Orkut !!! Here is my profile id or whatever they call it; "Dr. a k" in Tempe, Arizona, US.
    i.e. if you plan to "kill time" with internet!!
    Arun.

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Amy,

    It's fantastic to hear of your interest in India. Even i haven't seen Umraojaan or even thought of doing so :-). Interesting to hear that you are becoming a fan of a filmstar who shares his name with me :-). i hope you get to travel to India soon, it's culturally and socially completely different from anything you may have imagined or seen.

    Sad to hear about the drought, we had a similar situation here where farmers were taking their lives because of it. i may be traveling as early as in a couple of weeks. i shall definitely be checking your blog to appraise myself of happenings in Oz, and more importantly to better understand your keen interest in India! It's really fascinating. i have never seen such interest in my country from someone who has never traveled there before!

    Take Care.

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger Finbarpurpleton said…

    Lotus I'm from Canada too. From good old Alberta, but I'm currently studying in Australia. I thought the warm temperatures her in Australia were to envived too until I go here. Now I miss the cold weather. I am melting.

    Amy, Currently I am working on Chapter 18 of the story Going to see Emu Park would be pretty cool I can't wait!

    Melissa.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
Want to know more?
My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia
Udah Lewat
Archives
Condensed list of places to visit
India Peru Iran Brunei Uganda Burundi Hong Kong Canada Colombia New Caledonia Guinea-Bissau Malta Micronesia PNG Thailand the Moon.
Quote of the moment

Genuine politics -- even politics worthy of the name -- the only politics I am willing to devote myself to -- is simply a matter of serving those around us: serving the community and serving those who will come after us. Its deepest roots are moral because it is a responsibility expressed through action, to and for the whole. - Vaclav Havel

Sites Amy Visits
Template By
Free Blogger Templates